John James Needles

John James was formed in 1840 and registered in 1902. The name John James is synonymous with the very best of needle manufacture, quality and reliability.  The John James brand of “Finest Quality Needles” continues to be recognised by needle crafters around the globe.

With the merger of Henry Milward and sons in 1912 a new board for John James and Sons was announced.  Members of the board consisted of C.B James as chairman and C.F Milward as deputy chairman, H.T Milward, A.D Barfleet and C.E James.

The original John James factory appeared listed as a business for the first time in an 1860 directory of the Redditch area.  This is further corroborated by none other than the novelist, Charles Dickens (1812 – 1870) who, in his journal “Household Words” documented a visit to the factory: